[mythtv-users] getting irblaster(.info) to work

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:29:22 UTC 2009

On 21/04/2009, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> I guess I'd like to hear from people who have an irblaster.info device
>  working. Do you really have to compile lirc and/or the kernel from
>  source for this to work, even with a relatively recent OS like Fedora
>  10?

My IR blaster is running on a FC4/2.6.16 kernel, which was released
long before LIRC was added to the mainline kernel.

When you modprobe lirc_serial (either automatically via
/etc/sysconfig/lirc.modules, or manually in rc.local) do you get a
/dev/lirc1 device created, and are you starting the second instance of
LIRC pointing to this device? The /dev/lirc1 device will need
read/write permissions.

What is the output of:

$ ls -la /dev/lirc*

In "the olden days" you had to compile a second differently-named
instance of LIRC when you wanted two separate devices to share the
same LIRC kernel module (I still believe this is the case today, but
could well be wrong). Commonly this was because a user had a serial
receiver on COM1 and a serial transmitter on COM2. Atter running with
two instances of LIRC for some time, I got the soldering iron out and
put the transmitter and receiver on the same socket, which simplified
things greatly and let a single LIRC instance control everything.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: