[mythtv-users] Folding at home, having it start/stop between recordings/jobs??

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Tue Apr 21 20:28:46 UTC 2009

> man nice
> man renice
>
> Basically set the priority to the lowest:
>
> IIRC something like
>
> renice 20 f at h
>
> should do the trick.  I do the same thing; I have a huge ffmpeg job that
> runs for about 10 minutes, hammering the drives and the CPU.  It caused
> all sorts of problems with myth until I re-niced it to the lowest level
> possible.
>
> --Yan

Thanks Yan. So for my intermediate self, what is that doing? I don't have
any man pages for nice/renice. I just googled and see that it is
rescheduling the process priority, but would that completely stop the f at h if
a recording starts, and then when the flagging is done after, f at h starts
again? Or is that as simple as it sounds: giving the mythbackend the top dog
priority when it starts recording/a job and sending f at h way down in cpu
usage?

Thanks a bunch
Bob