[mythtv-users] DirecTV and HD

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Apr 20 15:13:13 UTC 2009

I think your only option with DTV HD capture will be the HD-PVR. It does the
encoding, so your backend machine should be fine if it can handle the disk
I/O. The bottleneck will be the drive/drives and it generally doesn't take
too much.

The streams from the HD-PVR are a PITA to decode with CPU alone. Dual core
3Ghz has been recommended as the minimum starting point. As the codec
doesn't use multitheading, you get stuck using 1 core for most of the work.
The other option is VDPAU, which seems to be working quite stable for many.
VDPAU requires a recent NVidia card, 8xxx series minimum. The onboard video
chips work fine. I think people have posted sample streams from the HD-PVR
so you could test your frontends with those.

Note that the HD-PVR requires you to run trunk. The drivers are not in .21.
Though someone may have backported it like VDPAU.