[mythtv-users] MythTV and Comcast (SF Bay Area) transition to digital

Michael C. Smith michael.c.smith at alumni.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 19 04:49:02 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm a MythTV user who subscribes to Comcast's analog expanded basic
service in Sunnyvale.  Comcast is transitioning channels above 34 to
digital, which will affect my MythTV installation.  I'm in the process
of adding a digital tuner so that MythTV continues to work, however I'm
having some difficulties.

My pre-digital MythTV configuration is as follows:

Hardware:

   CPUs:          2 x 2.667 GHz Intel Xeon
   Tuner card:    Hauppauge PVR-250

Software:

   Kernel:        2.6.24-21-generic (from 8.04, due to older nVidia
card/driver issues)
   MythTV:        0.21.0+fixes18722-0ubuntu1

I've started to work through the upgrade.  As part of the cable system
upgrade, Comcast provided me with a Motorola DHC70 set-top box, along
with two DC50X "digital transport adapters."  I've gotten the DHC70
setup and authorized, and am receiving the digital channels on one TV
set.  My other TVs (and the PVR-250 tuner) are still receiving the
analog service.

I ordered and received a pcHDTV HD-5500 and installed it along with the
PVR-250.  My intent is to use both tuners, even though the PVR-250 will
only be able to receive channels 2-34 after the switch-over (on May 19,
2009).

I've verified that, with the HD-5500 installed, the PVR-250 still works
as previously, so I haven't broken my existing setup.  Now, I'm trying
to get the HD-5500 up and running as well.