[mythtv-users] How can I get my monitorless backend to start up

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 05:14:21 UTC 2009

________________________________
From: Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, 18 April, 2009 2:38:48 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] How can I get my monitorless backend to start up

I am completely baffled by this entire thread.  The machine has no monitor.  Why is there any mention of trying to run Xorg or GDM or KDM or messing with the xorg.conf when there is no monitor to use them on?  It's not like you need these programs running to have a completely functional linux system.

Ok, I think I threw in a red hearing, I said that the frontend could not connect to the backend, I assumed it was cause by the system not fully starting up. I found that problem was due to th IP address being incorrect in the frontend not due to the backend not completely starting.

It seems like the only issue I have is that I can't use VNC because it relies on Xorg.

So my choices are:
change the Xorg settings so I can use VNC
or
Use something other than VNC for remote management that does not require Xorg to be changed.

So I am open to recomendations for a remote management tool that will work with Ubuntu and allow me to modify the backend server remotely.

      Get the world&#39;s best email - http://nz.mail.yahoo.com/