[mythtv-users] Nvidia card temps

Adam Skinner kingmoffa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:22:49 UTC 2009

> Adam Skinner wrote:
> > Hi ,
> >
> > I've recently purchased an Nvidia Geforece 9500GT passively cooled
> for
> > use with mythtv VDPAU.  Stupid thing also takes up 2x pci /
> backpanel
> > slots.
> >
> > It all seems to be working fine most of the time, but it does get
> hot.
> > 60 degrees C at idle , 80-90 degrees on load.
> >
> > According to nvidia-settings and the gnome applet for hardware
> > monitoring/ sensors.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is normal?
>
> Yes it is. Those chips are supposed/expected to work at those
> tempseratures, with the goal of accepting passive cooling.
>

> >  Should I be worried. My CPU sits
> > around 30-40 degrees C.
> >
> > Does anyone have or know of a 8000 series passive cooled card that
> works
> > well with VDPAU and only takes up a single pci  slot? And if so,
> what
> > temps are you getting?
>
> I have a 8400GS from Asus, passively cooled, 1 slot only. Works very
> well.
>
> It shows those temps too.
>
> http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/favia-nvidia_temp-day.png
>
> My case is quite cramped, thus badly ventilated. So I had to add a
> fan
> to help expell air from around the video board, otherwise I would see
> temps above 100 degrees C when decoding.
>
> http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/favia-nvidia_temp-month.png
>
> Nico
> http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Adam Skinner wrote:
> > Hi ,
> >
> > I've recently purchased an Nvidia Geforece 9500GT passively cooled
> for
> > use with mythtv VDPAU.  Stupid thing also takes up 2x pci /
> backpanel
> > slots.
> >
> > It all seems to be working fine most of the time, but it does get
> hot.
> > 60 degrees C at idle , 80-90 degrees on load.
> >
> > According to nvidia-settings and the gnome applet for hardware
> > monitoring/ sensors.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is normal? Should I be worried. My CPU sits
> > around 30-40 degrees C.
> >
> > Does anyone have or know of a 8000 series passive cooled card that
> works
> > well with VDPAU and only takes up a single pci  slot? And if so,
> what
> > temps are you getting?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

> I have two 8400 cards. Both passively cooled. One of them is a full
> height card that came with a passive heatsink. The other is a half
> height card that came with a small, annoying fan and I made my own
> heat
> sink. Both of them run in the high 50's to low 60's under load. While
> [...]

Thanks everyone for the replies. Im not as scared as I was now with my
GPU temp stepping up to the 70-80s.

Just another small point, my InnoDB Geforce 9500GT takes up two slots as
stated. I tried it in another case and I noticed its even taller than a
full height card. (And thus wouldn't fit in correctly). So be warned if
your looking at this card.

I will keep an eye out for a full height 8400 that takes a single slot.
Im not confident enough or really have enough desire to make my own
heatsink. Dont want to turn my mythtv system into an warping xbox 360.