[mythtv-users] OT: Very noisy DVD drive/burner

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 09:12:26 UTC 2009

 >Damian wrote:
 >> I'm guessing it's because it's spinning so fast and I'm also guessing
 >> that it doesn't need to spin so fast.
 >>
 >> Is there any way to change this?
 >Try this forum topic...

<http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/set-dvd-read-speed-nec-3550-too-loud-181008/>http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/set-dvd-read-speed-nec-3550-too-loud-181008/

Thanks for that. After a bit of playing around, I menaged to get it to
work by using these commands:

hdparm -E 2 /dev/scd0
and
hdparm -E 0 /dev/scd0
to reset the speed.

I'll look into how to automate their use, but I'm having a different
problem now. The drive doesn't seem to recognise audio CD's. I tested it
when I first plugged it in, and it was finding the audio cd's, but
didn't seem to want to play them. I thought at the time that I'd just
come back to that problem. However, now it doesn't even seem to
recognise them. Any idea what to do with this?

Damian