[mythtv-users] OT: Webcam as "security" cam

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 15 23:39:30 UTC 2009

2009/4/15 Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com>:
>> I have to say that I suggest using IP based cameras though, just keeps
>> the amount of breakables in the chain down.
>>
>> Regards
>
> What are IP cams? I was planning on buying a couple webcams tonight from the
> support hardware list to test the whole thing out on the weekend but I'll
> get those if it makes more sense.
>
> Thanks very much
> Bob

Bobby

As you have a rogers account I'm assuming you're based in Canada?

If yes then can I suggest you try to pick up a cheap 2nd hand Axis
2100 (pay no more then $100 - check completed auctions to see what
they sell for there) to see how IP cameras work, when you've finished
playing you'll get your money back selling it on E-Bay.

The Axis 210 and 211 series are great cameras and the new ones just
about to be launched based upon a new chipset have more sensitivity
and work in much lower light levels.

To see what cameras are out there live on the web the following link
will help...

http://www.google.com/search?q=intitle%3A%22Live+View+%2F+-+AXIS%22+|+inurl%3Aview%2Fview.shtml^

Axis are the market leader in IP cams (Sony, Panny et al are also
popular) and though they are called cameras they're really Linux
servers with a lens attached....reduces the load on your backed server
dramatically.

I know of at least 4 occasions from personal experience where ZM
setups have either stopped thefts are lead to convictions.

Have fun.