[mythtv-users] OT: Very noisy DVD drive/burner

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 20:22:09 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Can anyone help me with this one? I have just bought an external DVD
burner for my machine. I was hoping to get rid of the stand alone DVD
player and CD player with this one little box. The problem however, is
that it sounds like an aircraft about to take off during playback.

The drive is a Samsung SE-S224 and it says that it's 'quiet' on the box!

The thing seemed to just work straight away, which impressed me, but
when playing a DVD movie or audio CD, it's SOO loud! I'm guessing it's
because it's spinning so fast and I'm also guessing that it doesn't need
to spin so fast.

Is there any way to change this?

I have just tried the device on my windows machine and it sounded
exactly the same, so I'm not blaming Ubuntu / Mythbuntu, but is there a
way to change this or do I need to send it back? It's way too loud to
keep the way it is.

Thanks
Damian