[mythtv-users] How to use 2 tuners in mythfrontend in a convenient way

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Wed Apr 15 19:04:26 UTC 2009

Hi,

I tried to use 2 tuners (2 DVB-T receivers) for LiveTV. I started
LiveTV on the tuner 1.  First, switching to tuner 2 using the C key
didn't work.  I entered the EPG during LiveTV and pressed "R" on a
different channel, which caused the backend to start a recording on
tuner 2, so I saw that tuner 2 was working.

Then I started a second frontend and started LiveTV, but only the
channles on the same multiplex were available (multirec), so tuner 2
still wasn't used.  The C key still didn't work.  Then I got a hint
that the menu in LiveTV has an input menu, which was able to switch to
the second tuner, so I saw that LiveTV can actually use tuner 2, but it
has to be told to to so.

Can I get mythfrontend to always use a _free_ tuner by default? If yes,
how?  I don't want to mess around with inputs everytime I start a
frontend.

Regards,
Tino