[mythtv-users] Block HD Commercials?

Kevin Ar18 kevinar18 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:57:43 UTC 2009

> What proprietary software can?
>
> This is a problem in general.
>
> The only really general purpose option to address this at the
> moment is the Hauppauge 1212 which bypasses all of this by
> recording from a non-encrypted analog HD signal.
Which means you cannot do anything with most all HD signals because they have HDCP.

Question is, why hasn't open source solve this? :)  I remember reading before it became popular, that HDCP was actually gonna be quite easy to crack.  Is it not possible for an open source solution to take in the encrypted signal and somehow decrypt it -- perhaps reconfiguring the way the device works so that it sets up a proper HDCP handshake?