[mythtv-users] First Nvidia Ion box - Acer Aspire Revo prices revealed

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Apr 15 14:58:46 UTC 2009

Johnny wrote:
>> Is trunk stable enough to be used reliably?
>
> There was a whole thread dedicated to this question recently. As I
> recall the consensus was that the backend (ie recording) is pretty
> stable, but there is still quite a bit going on with the frontend and
> lots of known bugs there. Search the recent archives to see the full
> discussion on that.

Like some others, I have been running SVN trunk from the very beginning
of my use of Myth. The backend is ROCK SOLID. Basically the only
problems I have ever had with the backend relate to setup, and network
issues (my router and the hdhomerun).

The frontend did go through a period of weirdness during the changeover
to QT4 and some related to the inclusion of VDPAU, which I think was
more related to VDPAU....version 180.29 is far better than 180.06 or so.

I am happy with trunk.

Note that there are ways you can try SVN trunk in parallel to a
.21-fixes setup, but there are (not-insurmountable) difficulties in
doing so. The safest choice for that, is to do a parallel OS install to
a USB memory stick and try everything booted into that instance (using,
to start, a backup of your mythconverg database).

Geoff