[mythtv-users] First Nvidia Ion box - Acer Aspire Revo prices revealed

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:24:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> Gerald Schepens wrote:
>>>
>>> But would it make a decent frontend?  Would it run mythtv?  (I can't see
>>> why not.)
>>>

>> 1GB RAM and 8GB flash is perfect for a frontend, but there are some
>> problems.  This is the single core Atom, so even when the multithreaded
>> ffmpeg stuff comes through, you're stuck using VDPAU for anything HD, which
>> means you're on trunk instead of a release version.  Network is only
>> 100mbit, which isn't a problem, but disappointing for people who may want to
>> shift to all gigabit/jumbo.  Wireless is G instead of N, so if you want to
>> go that route, you will not likely get HD recordings to work without
>> throughput issues.
>
> Is trunk stable enough to be used reliably?

I know I'll get jumped on for it, but I've been running trunk for
years, and it's been quite stable for me for a long time. Even staying
a week or so behind, I've never had any major problems. The theme
stuff is still being worked out, but Terra is usable. I have 2 HDHR's
using OTA, an HD-PVR, and two PVR-x50's, a master and slave backend,
and 3 frontends.

As long as you are capable with Linux, don't mind getting your hands
dirty, and follow the dev/commits lists, you shouldn't have a problem.

Tom