[mythtv-users] Standalone Frontend

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 15:01:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Jongi <jongitech at gmail.com> wrote:
> What can't it do?
>
> Essentially I had a STB feeding into my mythbox. Lightening killed the STB.
> And it is just not worth  runnign the free-to-air channels through live TV,
>
> As it happens I have recently upgraded the hardware that runs my system, and
> I am now asking myself how I should setup myth to be mainly a DVD Player,
> MP3 player and run the various recordings I have in mainl avi and some mkv
> format.
>
> So can I run this as just as a frontend. If that is possible, would it be
> easy to run it as a backend later on when I eventually decide to get
> something that can feed HD into mythtv?

The frontend won't run without a backend. The backend won't take up
much resources if you aren't ever doing any recordings. If you aren't
ever recording and playing back TV there may be other media center
type apps like Boxee or XBMC that will be sufficient for your needs. I
know a lot of users prefer the ui in those apps for just playing back
videos. Though that will probably change with .22. The new UI
improvements are looking very impressive.