[mythtv-users] New deinterlacer for perfect image quality when using an interlaced display, mode that matches the source

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Apr 13 14:32:06 UTC 2009

Tom Dexter wrote:
> With the change as I have it now, bottom field first and top field
> first interlaced frames would be treated just like they were, and
> progressive frames would be treated as top field first.  Are you
> saying that could cause a problem?

Yeah, I think it might not work for a transmission that was mostly
bottom-field-first frames, with a few progressive ones thrown in,
because the progessive frames would be treated the opposite way to
the rest, which is what gave you bad motion before your change.

> I'll try your change when I get a chance.  Just to be clear...you're
> change is forcing the parity parameter in filter_func (the parameter
> that's fed by the 'field' variable in the trunk version) to one for
> non-interlaced frames...correct?

That's right. Setting the field variable to 1 causes the function
to use the current frame rather than the previous, which is what
I think we want for progressive frames.

> That does sound interesting though...I'd think that leaving
> progressive frames unaltered should be the ideal approach.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking.

Cheers,
	Paul.