[mythtv-users] rescanning new comcast QAM256 channels (old analog) with hdhomerun

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Mon Apr 13 07:06:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:29:02PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >Have others had the same problem?
> >Any ideas?
>
> Did you do a full scan?  Don't use cable-high or anything.

Right, I did do that.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 08:42:07PM -0500, Mr. Vining wrote:
> I've had that issue a few times, the default is not "full scan".

interesting, it is for me. Go figure.

> Make sure when you set up the scan to do a full scan, and cable, and
> qam256, but mostly the full scan is what I miss anyway.  Also for the
> heck of it, you might want to try scanning qam64.  Here in MN when we
> first rolled out digial we weren't using qam256, but i would think
> they have moved to qam256 across the board by now.  Might be worth a
> try.

That was indeed my problem: I didn't think I had to scan for qam64, but I
did. Some channels were using that.
Also, I told it to scan for encrypted channels and once I did both, I got my
missing channels.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:01:57PM -0700, Andrew Burgess wrote:
> Did you try the scan with the hdhomerun utility? It not only scans many
> times faster but it scans for all the qam-N in one scan. That would tell
> you if it's a hdhr problem or a myth problem.

I'll have to try that one next time I have an issue, thanks.

> Here in Santa Cruz CA, comcast has both qam-256 and qam-64

Yep, that was my problem, thanks.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:06:30PM -0700, BP wrote:
> If all the other suggestions using mythtv's scanner fail, try
> http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5953 .  It took me a
> few hours to scan, edit and confirm all the channels, but it was the
> only thing that would work for me.

Interesting, I'll have to look at that.

Thanks all,
Marc