[mythtv-users] myth creating DVD ISOs that can only be read by one front end

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 12 18:48:18 UTC 2009

On Sunday 12 April 2009 12:30:24 Misty P wrote:
> I'm trying to rip some of my DVDs using mythTV.  I put the disc in the myth
> frontend, I go to the optical discs menu, and I select rip, select what I
> want and a few minutes later I have a hot steaming ISO in the videos
> directory.
>
> So far so good.  If I then play that ISO on that frontend, everything looks
> and works great.  But the problem is that NO other front end can play that
> file!
> If I go to either of my other front ends, I get extreme video corruption
> when playing back the file.  (example:
> www.pinballmafia.net/temp/myth_dvd.png )
>
> I also tried copying the ISO file to a windows machine, extracting the VOBs
> out of it, and playing those.  Same result -- extreme video corruption.
>

> What gives?  What am I doing wrong here?  (I've tried this on multiple DVDs
> with the same results, for what it's worth.)  I'm stumped because the front
> end that created the ISO can play it fine, just none of my other front
> ends.
>

> Thanks in advance!

Obviously the F/E that created the rip is playing it back locally.

Are the other frontends playing it over a network? Is it possible that your
network can't handle the load for some reason?

In other words, look into what is different in the setup of the failing F/Es
and the one that works. Try copying the file to a local drive on the
non-working F/Es (assuming they have one).

Can the "goofy" file be played by Xine or some other standalone app?

If anything can play the file OK I'd guess the file is OK, and you need to
look at whatever other differences might exist in the playback setups.

--
beww
beww at beww.org