[mythtv-users] Playback of HDTV MPEG recordings on Mac OS

Seth Heckard seth.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:48:19 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have somewhat of an off-topic question, but I figure this is as good
of a place to ask as any.

I have an Air2PC card that I use with MythTV to record my TV shows.  I
travel a lot and copy the MPEG files from the MythTV computer to my
laptop, a MacBook Pro (late 2008 edition).  It may not be the most
elegant solution, but it enables me to catch up on my recordings on
the road.

However, the playback is pretty choppy using VLC.  Watching a 1080i
file at fullscreen, it stutters a bunch, and that's without any
de-interlacing or filters.  Quicktime does not recognize the MPEG
files as valid, which is a shame, because I believe it is hardware
accelerated.

So, has anybody had any success playing these files back on a Mac?  If
so, anything that I should be doing?  I really don't want to get into
transcoding, but the videos are somewhat unwatchable at their current
state.

Thanks,

Seth