[mythtv-users] First ION desktop officially announced - Acer AspireRevo

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 9 18:37:21 UTC 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009 11:29:48 Josh White wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> > Josh White wrote:
> >> Then I suppose it's the word "popular" that's misapplied.  What it
> >> really means in that context is what is the most "common" browser.  The
> >> most "popular" guy in school is not the same as the most "common" guy in
> >> school.
> >
> > No, I get what you're saying.  But that's not really the way the word
> > popular is used in marketing contexts.  When people talk about the most
> > popular vehicle in America, it's usually something like an F150 pickup.
> > If it were really a popularity contest the way you mean it, it'd probably
> > be the Corvette, but a lot fewer people actually drive one. ;)

> I'm not sure that's the best analogy either.  Ask anyone that bought an
> F150 what they think of their choice, and the majority will probably say
> they love it.  Try that with Internet Explorer.  If anyone in the world
> could have a Corvette by simply clicking on a few links, downloading a
> file, and running "setup.exe" most probably would.

Not if they had to pay for the fuel, insurance and maintanance, all of which
cost more with a Corvette than the average for all cars.

IE is the lowest common denominator, not necessarily the most popular. MS
realizes the importance of having it pre-installed, why do you think they
fought so hard to "prove" that Windows will not run without it.

A lot of web developers would  love it if IE were to disappear, it's certainly
not popular with them.

--
beww
beww at beww.org