[mythtv-users] Cable Card support? Cablevision...

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:23:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Carl Friedberg <frida.fried at gmail.com> wrote:
> on Tue Apr 10 19:02:48 UTC 2007 David Frascone dave at frascone.com asked about
> Cable Card, tuner, or other support in MythTV...
>
>> Or, do I just need to wait patiently until there are HD tuner cards out
>> there with cable card support?
>

> It's been two years, so perhaps there's been some progress in this area.
>
> What would be a good choice to get Cablevision (perhaps HD-TV ) into
> MythTV (I'm a complete novice). One suggestion was via firewire, but it
> is not clear to me how to go about doing this. Suggestions?
>
> I hate to buy / rent a cable / DVR box from Cablevision, but if that is the
> best solution, I could go that route. Would TIVO be a reasonable choice?
> I am guessing not, but I would like to hear new opinions, or, receive
> pointers to the FAQ where the answer lies.
>

> What about a TV tuner card? Are there good choices today, that were
> not available a few years ago?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Carl Friedberg

I can't help with suggestions regarding firewire etc, as I record only
broadcast OTA DTV... others here can help more with that.

As far as the topic of someday having a cable card capable tuner card
used in MythTV, it's come up before, and I've pointed out that such a
card that could be used in open source (non DRM) apps would clearly
violate the cable card license terms:

http://www.opencable.com/downloads/DCAS_New.pdf

"3.2 Licensed Products shall not allow Controlled Content to be
present in compressed form on any User Accessible Bus (as defined
below) unless encrypted and secured from unauthorized interception to
the level of protection specified in Section 4(e)(i) and 4(e)(ii).

3.3 Licensed Products shall not allow Controlled Content to be present
in uncompressed form on any User Accessible Bus (as defined below)
unless encrypted and secured from unauthorized interception to the
level of protection specified in Section 4(e)(i)."

That says to me that it'll simply never happen.

Tom