[mythtv-users] First ION desktop officially announced - Acer AspireRevo

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:26:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 April 2009 09:08:40 Glen Sagers wrote:
>
> > That was the case when I bought this, too, but this deal on a dimension
> > was truly to good to pass up!  Even with the "Windows Tax" it was much
> > less than any other machine I could have bought or built with the same
> > specs at the time.  It's great to see that they're finally offering
> > FreeDos and Linux for most of their product lines, though.
>
> As for the "Windows Tax", it's not so much that I mind the cost, I just
> hate
> that it goes to MS, and is used to create false and misleading statistics
> about OS use in the world.
>
> Not only will I be counted as a 'Windows User", but the system I bought
> will
> also be used to claim IE is the most popular browser (though a lot of those
> stats come from server logs I guess).
>
> --
> beww
> beww at beww.org

It's funny how even server log statistics could be wrong here.  The fact
that something is used doesn't necessarily make it popular.  Of the
percentage of people using MS Internet Explorer, how many of them "chose" to
do so?  I would guess that the majority of IE users click on the "Internet"
icon and that what happens to run.  The problem with sorting something like
this out is that anyone that would care enough to vote or take a survey
about what browser they CHOSE to use is likely not using IE, while those
that that are using IE, are likely not to vote.