[mythtv-users] dvb-s vs. dvb-s2 for UK Freesat HD

matty.shaw at ntlworld.com matty.shaw at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 9 10:05:55 UTC 2009

Hi there

I have been using Knoppmyth for a few years, but my previous tellybox packed
in some time ago, and I now plan to buy a new system.

I plan on re-using 2 dvb-t cards for UK Freeview, my longterm plan is to get
a motherboard and CPU that is capable of dealing with HD recording and
watching, from the Freesat service, along with the freeview. I am very
confused about the dvb-s situation. I have read a few posts from people using
the olderoriginal dvb-s cards to capture the HD fta broadcasts, and have also
seen mention of the new dvb-s2 cards. A friend of mine is using a dvbs2 with
WINMCE (yuk!) and says it is brilliant. I obviously want the HD to be
captured and played back in all of its glory, along with LiveTV, just a bit
confused as to which card(s) I need.

Could one of you lovely people give me some help with the dvbs2 issue, also a
few cpu and graphic cards recommendations would be lovely.

Thanks a lot in advance

Matt Shaw
matt at shagshaw.com