[mythtv-users] MythTV stops/doesn't start recording

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:19:21 UTC 2009

On 07/04/2009, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
> Zitat von "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
>

> > On 04/06/2009 10:05 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:
> >
> > > Zitat von Nick Morrott:

> GET_STATE)
> GET_STATE)

> > > I get them on recordings that work too. This is a card that is currently
> not bound to any source.
> > >

> > Really, Myth doesn't support a configuration that includes a card with no
> connected inputs.  Often, it works when you set up Myth, then--for no
> apparent reason--at some point in the future, things just stop working.

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034.

> > > I will try that.
> > >

> > And, yeah, if the problem is the defined-but-not-used card, that's the
> right fix (no need to do the Video Sources portion--just like Nick said).
> The only qualification is that this time you should /not/ define the card
> that Myth isn't using.
> >

>  Besides that it took me over two hours to get everything up again after
> deleting the cards (and sources, because mythv ceased to work completely
> after only re-installing the cards), it didn't change anything.
>  Sometimes the recordings work, sometimes not. This is really frustrating.

It's more than possible that it could be a distro upgrade causing your
problems - can you roll back (or at least identidy) the updates you
have installed since the system started to give you problem? As Mike
suggested, another possible cause would be a sudden change to the
signal quality reaching your capture cards.

Do you have multiple capture cards of different types (e.g. ATSC, V4L,
DVB-T)? If so, is it possible that their device numbers are changing
after each boot? MythTV will have problems if this is the case - but I
would have thought this issue would have caused problems before now.

You certainly shouldn't have had to reconfigure your video sources,
only reconnect them to the newly created capture card inputs on the
Input Connections page in mythtv-setup.

Did the extra 'record' and 'file' mythbackend logging reveal any
additional information to help?

Nick

--
Nick Morrott