[mythtv-users] Asus M3N78-VM SPDIF

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 23:16:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Ma Begaj <derliebegott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update it for the
>>> benefit of those using gossamer and wanting to build a frontend based
>>> on this board.  HDMI audio out DOES work with the latest BIOS update.
>>
>> this is OT ... can you switch between HDMI-audio and S/PDIF (IEC958)
>> in alsamixer?
>>
>> thanks
>
> Ma...
>
> I'll look and see what I can figure.  The mobo manual says that it's
> supposed to be a switch in the BIOS between SPDIF and HDMI, but it's
> not there in either 903 or 907.  I'll play around and see if I can get
> the toslink to light up, but I'm not set up to test beyond that ;-)
> Audio over HDMI was why I bought this board and I'm just happy I can
> get it to do that!
> --
> Doug

Sorry, Ma...I've had no luck getting the TOSLink to light up at all.
Setting the output plug to pcm="iec958" gives me the same result as
"spdif" and "hdmi" ... that being out through the hdmi cable.  Not
sure if I'm doing something wrong...but I've hassled with it for about
as much as the WAF will allow me to (seeing as our stereo has HDMI in
and out so it can sit between the frontend and the TV, she giving me
the "leave well enough alone" look ;-P)

If I find the downtime between two jobs, 8 kids, and a bunch of
hardware, I'll play with it more if it bubbles back up to the top of
my list, but no real promises...
--
Doug