[mythtv-users] recommendations for building new FE/BE HDTV system?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Apr 5 19:24:51 UTC 2009

John-Marc Chandonia wrote:

> However, since these are the only drives I plan to install in the
> system (at first), I'll probably partition the drives and use
> the first ~20G for mirrored /boot and / partitions, with rest
> used for recordings.  I don't mind losing those in the case of
> a drive failure, and I'm keeping videos, music, etc on more
> stable storage over the network.

It's not a good idea to put your system partitions on the same spindle as your
recordings. At the very least, your database should be on another spindle.

You don't need a big disk for your system. I use an old 8Gb disk which holds
root and swap partitions and the database, and all other disks are used for
recordings. Most of the 8Gb is underused. This system is only used for Mythtv, I
have other servers to do all the other heavy lifting.

--

Mike Perkins