[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend problem...

Questiony McAskerton From Queryville djm-list at maccormack.net
Sun Apr 5 19:14:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Does your frontend resolve the name mythserver?
>
> try with the IP address maybe?

Thank you very much Bill and Jean-Yves for your replies.  The frontend
does indeed resolve the name mythserver.  I can ping it from that box and
/usr/bin/mythfrontend connects to mysql on mythserver just fine.

Just for kicks I tried using the IP address of mythserver in ``General
Settings'' in mythtv-setup on mythserver and, to my pleasent surprise, it
works!  The new frontend connects just fine.  I will leave it that way, of
course, but it does beg the question why can't I use a valid, resolvable
name.  The other frontend software that I use (XBMC) works, so it must be
something specific to /usr/bin/mythfrontend.

/usr/bin/mythfrontend can connect to mythserver:3306 (e.g. it resolves the
name to connect to mysql) and  /usr/bin/nc (netcat) on the frontend can
connect to mythserver:6543.  So, why can't mythfrontend?  I haven't looked
at the code, but perhaps it's using gethostbyaddr(3)/getaddrinfo(3)
instead of gethostbyname(3)/gethostinfo(3)?

Anyway, thanks again to both of you for your replies.

Dave