[mythtv-users] recommendations for building new FE/BE HDTV system?

John-Marc Chandonia jmc at dolorespark.org
Sun Apr 5 17:32:54 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:54:03PM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> You only need to worry about what processor you will need for
> transcoding and the like.
>
> For viewing video, even a 1Ghz processor would do thanks to vdpau.

If I find vdpau to be sufficiently stable, I'll certainly do
that... but I'd like to have a sufficiently powerful CPU as a
fallback.  I'm planning to use power management to slow down
the CPU when I'm not using it to save power.

Although I'd heard people on this list recommend a Core 2 Duo as
a minimal CPU--the lowest in this line is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206
this mobo would also take a cheaper CPU such as this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

>>    Have other people tried replacing the CPU fan with a passive
>> cooling system, or adding passive cooling to this board?  I've seen
>> reviews that it runs hot, but remains stable.
>
> I don't see how this has anything to do with the motherboard.

I've read that some people find this mobo to be too hot without adding
a passive cooling system to the northbridge.

>>    Is 4Gb of memory sufficient for this system?  Are you running
>> a IA-64 linux distribution, or a 32-bit distro?
>
> That's more than enough 2GB is plenty.

Thanks; that's good to know.

JMC
--