[mythtv-users] long delays responding to keystrokes and ir events

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 06:02:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Darren Hart <darren at dvhart.com> wrote:

> Well I'm back again, trying to see if there has been any progress.
> I'm at 20282 and still getting the backup/ignoring of events.  The WAF
> is getting hammered :-(  There was some mention about this possibly
> being related to a new version of X, my last Xorg.0.log file contains:
>
> X.Org X Server 1.5.2
> Release Date: 10 October 2008
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-16-server x86_64 Ubuntu
>
> Which version of X are others experiencing this increasingly annoying
> bug running?
>
> Someone else mentioned tinkering with nice, I haven't found this
> helpful.  In fact I even went one step further and tried setting
> SCHED_FIFO real-time priorities on various related processes with no
> luck.  I went to see if myth had an events thread or something, but
> unfortunately it doesn't change the name of it's child threads so I
> can't distinguish one thread from the next in th ps listing to
> experiment with those.
>
> I asked earlier if there something I could do to collect additional
> information, if so please let me know.
>
> Perhaps it's time to break down and take a look at the source...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Darren Hart

Darren,

You may be running into the bug I found and patched on my system:
  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6406

Discussed in more detail in this similar thread (including some
log-checking you can do to see if you have the same issue):
  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/377337#377337

If you want to try the binary patched library I created, I put it on a
sharing space at:
  http://www.mediafire.com/?tazzbiyy2mi

At least 2 people have indicated that this seems to have fixed their
remote delay issues (in addition to myself, of course :-).  If you
choose to try it, please follow up here with your results.

Mike and others -- if there are more confirmations that this fix
helps, is there a preferred non-rude way to pass a gentle request to
an appropriate dev to request is be evaluated to put in the 0.21-fixes
branch?  This is my first MythTV patch contribution (albeit more of a
cut-and-paste of a procedure from a newer file, although I did the
root-cause analysis), and I don't want to go about things the wrong
way :-)

Josh