[mythtv-users] upgrading MySQL

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Apr 4 06:42:56 UTC 2009

Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com> says:
> If you convert your database to InnoDB then you can use
>
>      mysqldump --single-transaction --skip-lock-tables
>
> which does not lock any tables but still dumps consistent state.

When I asked about using this option I was warned against it
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/262375#262375>;
almost exactly two years ago, in fact); if you differ on the subject
I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

I still backup using a script similar to what I mention in the thread,
although only every six hours and the unresponsive period is only a
fraction of the ~100 seconds (including compression) of elapsed time.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array