[mythtv-users] "Video Mode not supported" if PC turned on before TV

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 01:37:38 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/4/4 Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>:
> When X starts up, if your TV is on the X driver  is able to query the
> TV for supported video modes. What I've noticed is that even if my X
> config specifies a format that is invalid, the driver seems to ignore
> what the config file says and picks its own chosen resolution from
> whatever the TV says is valid. Perhaps the issue is that if the TV is
> off (or on another input) it is unable to query the supported modes,
> so instead it just assumes that whatever is in the config file is
> valid (which it isn't, and thus your TV complains). However, when it's
> on and on the proper input, it's able to determine your config is
> invalid and automatically fixes the problem.

Assuming nvidia cards ; The way to get around this is by using the
CustomEDID option in Xorg.

What you do is download the EDID file using the nvidia-settings
utility, then use CustomEDID to specify where the EDID is stored. That
way , your TV won't need to be on and the PC will always know what
video options are available.

You also need to tell the nvidia drivers where the screens are located
with something like:

This is for my dual screen setup: one projector, one 17" LCD: both
connected via DVI.

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName   "GeForce 8600 GT"
        Option      "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/viewsonic-edid.bin;
DFP-1:/etc/X11/panasonic-edid.bin"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0,DFP-1"
        Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1"
        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard1"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName   "GeForce 8600 GT"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0,DFP-1"
        Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen      1
EndSection

Note that CustomEDID is only to be used once, even if you set two
device sections.

This is for a one screen setup:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Generic Video Card"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "CustomEDID"         "DFP-0:/etc/X11/sony46x3100-edid.bin"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor"   "DFP-0"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice"   "DFP-0"
    Option         "UseEvents"          "True"
EndSection

Check the nvidia drivers manual for more information.

Jean-Yves