[mythtv-users] Comcast & Firewire STB's without 5C/Firewire equipment

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:52:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Steve Reilly <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> when i told time warner that, they said they have the right to use
> encryption, and they cannot encrypt over firewire or some s>amp;#t like
> that...... "firewire ports are disabled for customer use" were their
> exact words.  i never really pursued it further than about 3 emails, and
> 1 to the fcc which i never heard back.  i just wanted to try it, and got
> over the urge.  These guys are going to do whatever they want anyway,
> regardless of any minor law.

It was indeed BS-- Firewire allows for 5C, which requires that the
viewing device be likewise 5C enabled to authenticate with the port
and start the stream, so security is not an issue.  As I mentioned
elsewhere in the thread, they can even do this across the board and
just leave you channel changing and not run afoul of the law.

Sadly, it takes real legal action to get results sometimes.  This is
the primary reason most of the Bay Area does pretty well.  A SF
resident sued them and won.  You are right though, they tend to go
only as far as they are compelled to by a court.

Robert