[mythtv-users] upgrading MySQL

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Apr 3 20:52:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 12:16 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:

> > And, IMHO, why waste the time trying (and not being /absolutely/ certain
> > all your data is good) when all it takes for peace of mind is a simple
> > backup and restore?

> The main reason you see people doing binary backups is speed.

The other reason, as in my case, is to get an up-to-the-minute copy. The
binary is the only thing that is guaranteed to have all the information
that has been committed since the last time mysqldump was run. As it
turns out I was not able to do that anyway and had to resort to a
four-day-old text backup. Still way better than losing the entire
database, I just have half a dozen recordings that I am going to have to
find a way to manually add back in, since of course those are the ones
we haven't watched yet )-: I may choose to just punt and watch 'em with
mplayer.

--Greg