[mythtv-users] libXvMCNVIDIA for HD Playback

Scott scott at web-ster.com
Fri Apr 3 15:58:20 UTC 2009

Hello List,

    I'm having an issue playing back HD content in Myth. I have found a
lot of forums and posts about similar issues but I just can't seem to
get mine corrected. The issue with MY HD playback is that the video and
sound will have a short pause every 2 to 3 seconds that HD content is
playing.

    I have an NVIDIA nForce chipset in a shuttle system that's a 630a
with a 7050 PV GPU in it. From what I have read this is one of the few 7
series (and nForce) chipsets that can do XvMC. The machine is also
running Fedora 9.

    When I try to configure Myth with XvMC enabled (actually trying to
enable as much OpenGL as possible to try and correct this issue) I
receive the message: Disabling XvMC-opengl. It is only available when
linking against libXvMCNIVIDIA

    I have several libXvMCNVIDIA files to link against, they are listed
below. I have tried forcing the configure to use each of those files
with the --xvmc-lib option but each one has the same failure.

    /usr/lib/nvidia/libXvMCNVIDIA.a
    /usr/lib/nvidia/libXvMCNVIDIA.so
    /usr/lib/nvidia/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.177.82
    /usr/lib/nvidia/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1

    The NVIDIA driver I am using is the RPM from the rpmfusion repos,
below is the list of different NVIDIA rpms that are installed.

    kmod-nvidia-newest-2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.i686.PAE-177.82-1.fc9.8.i686
    xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-newest-177.82-1.fc9.i386
    xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-newest-devel-177.82-1.fc9.i386
    xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-newest-libs-177.82-1.fc9.i386

    Here's also an example of the configure line I am using for Myth:
./configure --enable-opengl-video --enable-xvmc
--xvmc-lib=/usr/lib/nvidia/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.177.82 --enable-xvmc-pro
--enable-xvmc-opengl --enable-opengl-vsync

    My questions are, is there a better way to correct this problem
(something other than XvMC)? I have not tried the latest driver directly
from the NVIDIA site, is that needed to get XvMC to function? Is there
anything else I can do to correct this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm a long time user and fan of Myth
(and Linux for that matter).

Scott S.