[mythtv-users] Remove dead slave server from database?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:33:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 04/03/2009 08:47 AM, Johnny wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:39 AM, Erik Umans wrote:
>>

>>> As far as I remember it is possible to remove a single capture card and
>>> video source by highlighting the card/source in the backend configuration
>>> and pressing the menu button (or 'M' on the keyboard). Then you can
>>> select
>>> 'Delete' from a popup menu.
>>
>> True, but I think the point of the procedure is to clear out all tuner
>> cards, ie even those from a missing slave backend that wouldn't be
>> showing up in mythtv-setup on the main backend (at least I don't think
>> they would).
>
> Exactly...  To see the cards/sources from the missing backend, the OP would
> have to make Myth think he's running on that missing backend (which is
> likely to cause problems because of the different/missing capture hardware).
>
> Besides, the approach I gave cleans /everything/ up.  I like to think of
> that approach as the same one I use when someone gives me a MS Word document
> to format--rather than trying to undo the things they've done  incorrectly
> so I can do them correctly, I just save to plain text, then format it
> correctly from the start.  It's a /lot/ easier to ensure everything is
> properly defined when you start from a known state.
>
> And, really, defining capture cards and connecting inputs takes me all of 30
> seconds with my setup (with 2 backends having 2 capture cards each--whose
> inputs need connected in a specific order to spread out the load).  Defining
> my video source (OTA digital) takes me all of about 2 minutes more than the
> full channel scan itself takes.  (And, see
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Backup_xmltvid_data_.28before_doing_a_full_channel_scan.29
> and
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Restore_xmltvids_after_a_channel_scan
> for a way to make it a bit easier.  Note that I'm going to eventually do a
> much better implementation of the channel fixup--just need to make some
> time.)
>
> Sure, if you're out of practice it may take a bit longer, but still, it
> shouldn't take too long.
>
> Mike

OK, so if I have to delete *everything* then it's like starting over
completely, I suppose without losing my recordings.

Looking at the recording schedule and my schedule it will be sometime
Sunday before I can attempt this cleanup.

While it might be 30 seconds for you, it's never been less than 30-60
minutes for me, including some testing that everything is probably set
up correctly, doing a reboot to ensure everything comes up correctly,
looking through log files, etc.

Seems strange to me that the database doesn't have something akin to a
slave server ID and a simple command to remove everything related to
that server ID. I guess not though.

Again, thanks for the inputs though. Even if it's not easy I
appreciate the instructions.

Thanks,
Mark