[mythtv-users] database issues: 0.21 to trunk

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Fri Apr 3 08:02:12 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/03/2009 12:16 AM, Johnny wrote:

>>> I have determined that, somehow, I'm screwed. I copied over
>>> the /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg files from the old system to another
>>> 32-bit system running the same distro (Fedora 8) as the old system, and
>>> I get the same error when I try to run mysqldump there.
>
> Regardless of what the MySQL guys will tell you, you should /never/ move
> the binary MySQL data files from one system to another--especially if
> the MySQL versions differ.

This is especially true if you're using InnoDB, as copying the database
directory alone isn't enough, you need to copy the log and the data
files over as well. Even with innodb_file_per_table set, there's some
tablespace data kept in the datafile.

When did MythWeather switch to using innodb? If it's during 0.21 then
Greg might simply have to root around for some ib* files in
/var/lib/mysql and copy those over as well(and recopy mythconverg). It's
not recommended but it might save him some recovery time.

Greg, if you do decide to try copying the ib* files over(there should be
3, a datafile and 2 logfiles) as well you might need to make sure that
the innodb_data_file_path and innodb_log_file_size settings match in
both MySQL instances, if they were set in the original configuration.

Matt