[mythtv-users] Much improved 1080i display

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Apr 2 16:07:35 UTC 2009

Johnny wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi again
>>
>> 2009/4/3 Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>:
>>> Well, watching 1080i content with Interlaced 2X ; it looks fantastic...
>>>
>>> Watching basketball right now, the ball motion is really good.
>>> With VDPAU (Temporal Spatial 1X) and TV set to 1080p the motion of the
>>> ball is nowhere near as good
>>> With VDPAU however, the image is much sharper
>> Actually, with Temporal 2X ; motion looks just as good... and only 3%
>> CPU usage vs 115% using OpenGL/Interlaced 2X
>
> I haven't tried the Interlaced de-interlacers but the VDPAU Advanced
> 2x and Temporal 2x look better with SD content than when I just feed
> the cable straight to my TV.

Almost certainly not worth your trying it then. It's only a win if
the TV can do a better job of deinterlacing than your options under
MythTV, and sounds like not, in your case. Possibly, it's not useful
to anyone with VDPAU as an option, but there was someone who reported
their Sony Bravia as doing a slightly better job than VDPAU (although
they may not have had access to all the VDPAU deinterlacers at the time.

P.