[mythtv-users] Sony Vaio, perhaps?

Daniel Dunning dan3501 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 15:30:30 UTC 2009

Wow... great feedback.  I actually had the purchase queued up and ready to go, just needed to click purchase. Now I will spend more time thinking.  I've been looking for a bundled solution, something that I can toy with and configure, but not something that I wanted to fight with, so I am willing to pay a premium for that.   But I think that you're right, I need to get a better handle on what I want and whatever money I save can go towards building a better system.

The cost of the setup at Costco is $799.

Originally, I thought that a combination Front-end / Back-end system is nice, but I am buying for the front end.  I have computers on my network to serve as the back-end.

Higher CPU -- gotcha.  Suggestions?
Blu-Ray -- it was bundled.  I can easily live without Blu-Ray.
Bigger HD -- gotcha.  That's cheap and easy.
Separate the OS and DB.  I'll go with a backend-setup for the DB.
TV-Tuner just said digital / analog.  I'm not sure of the brand.  Probably should make sure that is also compatible. Suggestions?
Serial port.  Hadn't thought of that. Good catch.
Expansion. Hmm... good idea.
System appears to have wired networking.  I've just completed pulling a cable to the LR, so you're right -- that's key.
Sony, as a rule, is expensive.   Agreed.

I guess I'm really just looking for a good well put together starting point, something that is bundled nicely and would look good in my stereo cabinet.  Somethign that will work with Verizon FIOS.  I liked the HDMI output on this computer (one line to my Onkyo Surround Receiver) as well as the wireless keyboard and mouse.  But you're right, since Ubuntu/Myth is my preferrred platform, it probably doesn't make sense to pay extra for BluRay and Windows.

Any suggestions as to solutions from Dell, HP or anyone else that would get me a good way towards the development of a sleek front end would be great. I'm willing to pay a few dollars to save some time and frustration, but as you mention, don't want to just throw money away.

Thanks again.

Dan