[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Larry J - Dell LT larry at foxgulch.com
Thu Apr 2 14:17:21 UTC 2009

Josh Mastronarde wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No, you haven't missed it -- I just emailed it to a couple people on
>>> this thread who wanted to see if it helped (and it did for at least
>>> one).  It's a 300KB gzipped file that you drop into /usr/lib.  Email
>>> me directly and I'll send it to you if you want (with all the caveats
>>> about trust that go along with dropping in a binary file some random
>>> person sends you :-)
>>>
>>> If you compile yourself, the patch is available in the ticket I filed:
>>>  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6406.
>>>
>> Does this work for x86_64 myth users?
>>

> Applying the patch to source should be the same for x86_64, but the
> 32-bit binary libmythavformat.o that I generated most certainly would
> not.
>
> Josh

I am one  of those who tested Josh's patch/replacement libmythavformat
file.    The difference on my 18722 mythbuntu 8.10 installation was
quite remarkable.   Just as a test,  I put the original libmythavformat
file back.   The  "IR Remote button press" delay was immediately
apparent and irritating.   With Josh's file,  it's literally  gone. (I
did make the other two changes  (xorg.conf and no screensaver) but the
immediate and big improvement came with the installation of Josh's
file.  I'm now even running with playback profile cpu++.  Using that
profile,  and old the original file, my mythtv installation was
crippled.  Earlier, I suggested using "high quality" which seemed to
reduce the severity of the problem  but with Josh's file,  changing to
"high quality" isn't necessary.  The mythtv developers certainly need to
incorporate Josh's proposed changes,  IMYHO.  Kudos to Josh for
identifying this!

 If anyone else tests Josh's fix file,  please post your results here
under this thread.   If more find the fix to be helpful,  then maybe we
can drop a reference to this thread in the developers list.   The test
is completely reversible.  I used a  "sudo cp " to make a duplicate of
the original file, titled  libmythavformat*.orginal and then sudo
cp"ied  Josh's fix file into /usr/lib overwriting the original.

Very roughly, these are steps I followed to install and test Josh's fix
file on my Mythbuntu 18722 8.10 installation:
1.  sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-frontend stop
2.   sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
3.   mkdir ~/Desktop/temp
4.   Detach and save Josh's  attached .gz into temp
5.   Use  Archive manager to extract  libmythavformat.xxxx into temp.
6.  Make a copy of the exisiting file so you can return to the original
if necessary for testing or if the fix file causes your mythtv
installation to balk.
 sudo cp /usr/lib/libmythaformat-0.21.so.0.21.0
/usr/lib/libmythaformat-0.21.so.0.21.0.original
7.   Copy Josh's file over writing the original (which you just made a
copy of in step 6)
 sudo cp ~/Desktop/temp/libmythavformat-0.21.so.0.21.0
/usr/lib/libmythaformat-0.21.so.0.21.0
     If  prompted to overwrite indicate yes.

7.5 sudo chmod +r /usr/lib/libmythaformat-0.21.so.0.21.0
7.6 sudo chown root /usr/lib/libmythaformat-0.21.so.0.21.0
8.  sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
9.   then start mythfrontend via the system menu as you would normally
10. Post a summary of test here.  (Thanks)

Larry