[mythtv-users] Transcoding for a Nokia N95 (or Symbian)

David Fishburn dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:34:29 UTC 2009

I have been transcoding video for the PSP for years now and love it.

I have recently procured a Nokia N95 8GB smartphone, I wish to
transcode videos for this platform too.

Searching through the list found these 2 threads:

Playing Myth content from Symbian phone? eg Nokia N95

mythweb and the Nokia N95

These have raised a few questions, which I hope someone on the list
can provide some answers for.

1.  Please provide a complete ffmpeg command line you use to generate
compatible .mp4 files for this device.
I used this which worked, though not sure if it is optimal:
ffmpeg -y -i ...mythtv/recordings/1000_20090401073900.mpg -s 320x240
-r 15 -f mp4 -ac 2 -ar 24000 -ab 64 -b 250000 /tmp/test.mp4

2.  It seems the PC Suite (for Windows anyway) is used to transfer the
file to the N95, but this does a video conversion which I want to
avoid at all costs.
- Since the 8GB memory is mounted like a USB drive, I can copy the
files directly to the device (good).
- But, using the My Videos and Gallery icons, do not show them.  The
File Manager does not even show them (bad).
- But, in File Manager, you can do a find if you know the filename you
are looking for (good, but a pain).

3.  The videos are played using RealPlayer by default.  This
unfortunately plays them in portrait mode, which wastes almost the
entire screen.  I would like the video to be played in landscape mode
to utilize the whole screen, but not sure what size that would
actually be 4:3, 16:9?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave