[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast in the SF SouthBay

Joe Votour vulturej at vulturesnest.net
Wed Apr 1 22:09:22 UTC 2009

Quoting Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com>:

<snip>

> Ok, my question: What do I need buy/upgrade/install  to record this
> new World of More? I've been using PVR250 which can switch channels.
> Now I'll need something else. Who has been successful with comcast's
> boxes - which I think are those small ones w/o much do-dads on them.
>
> --
> Brad Fuller

Right now in the East Bay (Fremont, at least), everything from 2-89
(and even some above that, like Sprout) is available in ClearQAM.  The
quality of those channels though, is not the best, but it varies from
channel to channel.

Should they start encrypting, you will basically need to get one STB
per tuner and connect it to either an HD-PVR or your PVR-250 and use
an IR Blaster.  The free boxes that they are handing out do not have
Firewire, and are not capable of doing HD, so you won't get the HD
locals (i.e. KTVU, KRON), only the SD versions of them.

If I'm forced to use a box, I'm dropping Comcast altogether and going OTA.

I should call the number on the letter that I got and ask them some questions.

-- Joe