[mythtv-users] CPU for 1080p (Blu-Ray rips)

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Tue Sep 30 19:45:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:

> I would like to play back 1080p content at 720p (native TV res) from my
> mythbox. The current CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800. It can almost play some of
> the test rips I have, but mplayer maxes out both cores and the playback
> stutters. The primary codec is H264, which I know is more CPU heavy. I was
> considering a CPU upgrade to the X2 6000, almost a 50% clock boost
> (3Ghz/core), and more cache. I was wondering if anyone has used that CPU
> with this type of content and can tell me if it will get the job done. I'd
> rather not fork out $100 for a new CPU just to have to spend $150 on another
> one. :)
>
> MPlayer is set up to use both cores, and seems to do so just fine. It's
> just not enough with my current hardware.
>
> My search turned up people sugesting that the 6000 might be considered a
> minimum, but nobody seemed to have tried it. Would a 3 or 4 core CPU be a
> better choice? Most video apps don't seem to be threaded all that much, so
> I've hesitated on getting more cores.

How do you have mplayer set to use both cores? I have a Q6600 and 8800GT and
720p rips play perfectly but 1080p rips have slowdown in some parts, and I
know that they should play back just fine. I use mplayer but have never
thought of setting it to use more than one core, would be interested to give
it a go.

Thanks
Bob