[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR competators?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Sep 30 17:22:04 UTC 2008

On 9/30/2008 11:59 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
> I am thinking about finally buying the HD-PVR device from hauppauge.
>  But before I do, I remember some talk on this list of other
> people/companies were planing on releasing simular (better?) products
> this year.  Is there any news of a better product available or coming
> soon?

We are still working on our device to capture component video.  As news
is available we are posting to our project web site
http://pvrcompanion.com .

We are using a network connection like the HD Homerun so it won't
require any special drivers.  The box itself actually runs Linux on an
Arm processor so you can use it for more just video capture.  We
actually started it before the Hauppauge device was announced but a
hardware problem with our initial run of prototype boards and time
pressures from other projects have been taking away from the time we
have to spend on it.

As soon as we get past another milestone we will be posting the box's
driver source to our web site.  There shouldn't be any patches required
for MythTV as it will use a similar interface to the HD Homerun, but if
there are they will be posted also.

--
David