[mythtv-users] Getting started with Myth installation

daryl helwig sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Tue Sep 30 01:44:47 UTC 2008

I read the replies to this thread and appreciate your help.

I was instructed to NOT enter a  password for the MySQL root user. But I
think that on my first attempt I DID enter it or I chose to have it done
automatically...I realy don't remember. So I tried uninstalling and
reinstalling and I am not again asked to enter or not enter a password.
I tried deleting the file where it is stored and I still am not sure
where I stand. So I uninstall Mythtv, Mythtv-backend and Mythtv
frontend. I then ran sudo apt-get install mythtv. There are errors at
the end of the process. I think what I need is a clean Myth removal and
reinstall. Here is the result of my last reinstall...

daryl at ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install mythtv
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  ispell ibritish wamerican openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
  openoffice.org-l10n-en-za openoffice.org-help-en-gb
  openoffice.org-help-en-us openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
gimp-help-common
  openoffice.org-l10n-common language-support-translations-en gimp-help-en
  wbritish openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au iamerican
  openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us openoffice.org-hyphenation
  mythtv-frontend
Suggested packages:
  mythtv-doc mythgallery mythgame mythmusic mythstream mythtv-backend
  mythvideo mythweather
Recommended packages:
  mythtv-themes
  mythtv mythtv-frontend
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/2023kB of archives.
After this operation, 5976kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-frontend.
(Reading database ... 147703 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mythtv-frontend (from
.../mythtv-frontend_0.21.0+fixes18207-0ubuntu4~hardy1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv.
Unpacking mythtv (from
.../mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18207-0ubuntu4~hardy1_all.deb) ...
Setting up mythtv-backend (0.21.0+fixes18207-0ubuntu4~hardy1) ...
udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev/
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt': File exists
invoke-rc.d: initscript mythtv-backend, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mythtv-backend (--configure):
Setting up mythtv-frontend (0.21.0+fixes18207-0ubuntu4~hardy1) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
 mythtv depends on mythtv-backend (= 0.21.0+fixes18207-0ubuntu4~hardy1);
however:
  Package mythtv-backend is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
 mythtv-backend
 mythtv