[mythtv-users] reinitialize TV cards without rebooting?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Sep 29 17:15:10 UTC 2008

Marc Chamberlin wrote:
> Hello -  I am running a Myth TV system with 2 TV cards, an Hauppauge PVR
> 350 and an ATI TV-Wonder. Often, when I boot up my system only one of
> the two cards seems to get initialized right so that Myth TV recognizes
> it. (Most of the time both cards are recognized) I am wondering, is
> there any easy way to reinitialize the card that failed, without having
> to reboot the system? It is rather annoying sometimes to have to wait
> through 1 or 2 or 3 reboot cycles in order to get the card to come back...
>
> Am running this on a SuSE 11.0 system.  I have tried  restarting the
> backend but that did not work....

It *sounds* like the card needs some time to stabilize.

You could try using a script (called from /etc/rc.local ) which will
remmod the  ivtv driver, and then insmod it back. That should trigger
the udev subsystem.
(Althernatively, there is a script which re-triggers udev, which should
then recognize the cards.

Have you tested putting these 2 cards into different slots? Or just in
the other slot?
Have you tested with just one of them installed? And then the other?
In both slots?

There could be some sort of interrupt contention going on which a
slot-swop would fix, obviating any software work-arounds.

Geoff