[mythtv-users] Optimal settings for speed?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Mon Sep 29 09:58:45 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean schreef:
> On 09/28/2008 01:58 PM, Jelle De Loecker wrote:
>
>> I have an AppleTV with linux installed. I wish to use it as a frontend
>> but it's painfully slow.
>>

> I know nothing of AppleTV, but...
>

>> I have already disabled the opengl v-sync, which gives me loads of
>> tearing.
>> Scrolling in the program guide is incredibly slow
>>

> If you're talking about the program guide during LiveTV, it may be due
> to using bob deint (or another similar deinterlacer).  If so, change it
> to something like kernel or linear.
>

>> (and I wonder if the channel logo files have anything to do with it.)
>>

> If your database specifies a location for a channel logo and the file
> doesn't exist or isn't readable by the mythfrontend user, it will be
> slow to scroll up/down (i.e. expose new channels in the guide) even in
> the GUI (non-LiveTV) guide.
>

> Mike (who believes a Myth frontend system should be the most powerful
> conputer in the house ;)

Well, I haven't been able to try the guide while watching live tv,
probably due to this error.
For now I'm just using the program guide you can find in the menu.
(However, getting the live guide to work would be nice, I have already
found a mythtv ticket here which apparently solves THAT issue by
disabling deinterlacing, as you said:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3986 )

Anyhoo, I do believe my problem is about the channel icons. It's similar
to this thread:
http://www.mythtvtalk.com/forum/archive/o_t/t_2607

I have looked at the full log and have found that it directly downloads
the channel file, which takes a few microseconds.
If it has done this once, it doesn't download the files again. But it
still takes a lot of time.
When I'm in a section of the guide, with channels with no icons, it's as
smooth as it should be.

I know I can just remove the channel icons (even though a
mythfilldatabase would constantly re-add them)
I still think it's important to fix it.

/Met vriendelijke groeten,/

*Jelle De Loecker*
Kipdola Studios - Tomberg