[mythtv-users] Frontend and backend confusion

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 17:00:27 UTC 2008

On 28/09/2008, Rohit Chaudhri <rohit.chaudhri at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It is definately possible to have a combined frontend/backend and as I
> > only have a single TV and not a whole lot of spare cash this is the
> > route I've gone.
>
> I am still pretty new to MythTV & don't have a system up & running yet -
> waiting on my usb tv tuner to ship in. I have only 1 TV and based on what
> I've read and understood so far about MythTV - I'm planning to connect the
> tuner to a laptop and use that laptop as the frontend+backend, I believe
> this is the default config for the the Mythbuntu installation. Having just 1
> tuner might be restrictive; if I can get all of this going and at some point
> need to get additional tuners or split the frontend-backend, I'll do it.
>  So while its not necessary to have a separate forntend and backend, the
> MythTV architecture is flexible enough to support several different
> configurations.

Don't forget that if the backend is not turned on, you will not record
any programmes - so make sure your laptop is always turned on at the
times when you want to record TV*. One reason why many users split the
backend/frontend functionality is so that the backend can be left
alone recording/transcoding etc, and the frontend can be turned on/off
at will (more like an actual TV).

* MythTV can be configured to automatically wake up the backend
(depending on hardware support), can be left on 24/7, or can be
manually powered up/down when you want.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: