[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 analog audio port (Dan)

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Sep 26 20:13:46 UTC 2008

> Message: 18
> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:09:55 -0400
> From: Dan <skyhigh at rldb.net>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] pcHDTV 5500 analog audio port
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Hi all,
> I replaced 2 failing PVR150's with two pcHDTV 5500's.  They are
> connected to directv boxes.  I get video just fine but like many other
> cannot get audio to work.  I have tried everything I have found, loading
> the cx88-alsa, patching cx88-alsa, setting index so they don't bump my
> sound card, setting dvb_shutdown_timeout.  In fact, everything seems to
> be in order, just the dsp1/2 do not work:
>
> I have the audio port:
> 05:07.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
> Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)
>
> Alsa sees it:
> 1 [CX8801         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
>                       Conexant CX8801 at 0xfc000000
>
> /dev/dsp1 is created:
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 19 Sep 25 11:46 /dev/dsp1
>
> But when I go to use it I get errors:
> sox -t ossdsp -w -c2 -r 48000 /dev/dsp1 -t ossdsp ./test.wav
> sox: Failed reading /dev/dsp1: Unable to set the sample size to 16
>
> cat /dev/dsp1
> cat: /dev/dsp1: Invalid argument
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Dan
>

> The sound card on the system is working fine, I can playback old shows
> just fine.

I have a 5500 card in my FE/BE machine (used to have two, but pulled one
after adding a HD HomeRun device).

I run the S-video and stereo audio from my STB into the 5500, and in
addition, use both the analog and QAM tuners on the card.

The sound device (in mythtv-setup) for the analog/input side of the card
is set to /dev/dsp (the motherboard sound circuitry) rather than
/dev/dsp1.  With this setup everything sound-wise works.

Interestingly, when I had two of them in the machine, I had the sound
device on the second one set to /dev/dsp2 (for the analog tuner only; you
don't need it if you're just using the QAM tuner).  Don't ask why, it just
worked.

HTH
Bob