[mythtv-users] USB->Serial for controlling DirecTV boxes

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Sep 26 17:58:21 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>> For what it's worth, the HeadGear USB<->Serial convertor/cable uses
>> the PL2303. I got it at Fry's, kinda expensive though ($20). Don't
>> know if it uses the PL2303X though. I have it installed right now. Is
>> there a way to tell? Let me know, and I'll check.
>>

> $ lsusb
> note the device ID of your USB to Serial adaptor, then run
>
> $ sudo lsusb -v -d [device id] | grep bMaxPacketSize0
>
> If you get "bMaxPacketSize0 64" then you have the PL2303X

Just last week I bought a Cables Unlimited adapter from Fry's like this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1104139&CatId=447

Using your instructions above, I get:

bMaxPacketSize0         8

Is this what you're looking for?

I upgraded hardware to a motherboard that does not have a 9 pin serial
port.  I'm using the Cables Unlimited adapter on the backend.  I have
some generic USB/Serial converter cable on a D11 that I bought a couple
of years ago and had been using with my old hardware.  There is a null
modem cable between them.

HTH,

Drew

--