[mythtv-users] Restricting the size of storage group

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Sep 25 19:41:36 UTC 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Edmund wrote:

>> So as long as the OP can say his "Other" application wouldn't need
>> more than 1gb/day, myth cleanup should be running at least once a day
>> to ensure that 1gb remains free for his other application.  When his
>> application uses that up, myth would expire another 1gb the next time
>> cleanup runs.
>>

> Thanks. But I don't think that this will do what I want. I  would like
> to reserve say 500GB of space say for other uses. If I then fill this
> with music and PC backups (if I understand correctly) myth will delete
> another 500GB of programmes. I don't want that.

If you reserve, for instance 5GB, and put 500GB of other stuff on the
drive, it will do what you want. Basically, keep enough extra space to
make sure you leave time for myth to expire programs for you. Here's
the use case:

1. Start with a 1TB drive.
2. Specify an extra 5GB should be reserved.
3. Let MythTV record 750GB of content - all allowed to auto-expire.
4. Copy 200GB of content to drive - nothing is expired. Drive now
contains 950GB of content.
5. Copy another 100GB of content to drive. Myth expires 50GB of
content and now you have 300GB of "extra" stuff and 695GB of recordings.
6. Copy another 100GB of content to drive. Myth expires another 100GB
of content and now you have 400GB of "extra" stuff and 595GB of
recordings.

What I'm saying is that you don't need to reserve 500GB of space on
the drive for extra content. Just copy it there and mythtv will make
as much room as you want by expiring programs.