[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Best quality SD TV picture from DVB-T source

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Sep 25 18:06:32 UTC 2008

Jacob Lauritzen wrote:
> Since you already mention the interlace_test video, you might already know
> about this page:
> http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/unichromeTvOut.html
>
> It helped me obtain excellent playback quality on my Epia ME6000 board with
> my CRT TV.
> I used bob deint and never saw any problems with the syncing.
>
> I say "used" because the CRT TV broke and now I have an LCD TV. And since I
> still have the ME6000, output now looks awful. I am in the process of using
> an AppleTV as frontend, but that's a completely different story...

Sounds like you might be using the wrong output from the motherboard for
the new screen.

The TV out chips on via motherboards are not always completely  enabled
by the driver. You will (almost) always get better output from the VGA
output. The TV-out is intended for a TV, so it is limited to NTSC/PAL
size: basically analog S-video. The VGA output however can be digital
and goes up to (iirc) 2048 square.

NOTE that you really need to be sure that the BIOS is set correctly on
via motherboards. You must turn on the appropriate output to get the
correct output. In your case you might try something like LCD+TV in the
BIOS (sorry its been some time since I played with the BIOS on my
SP13000) so I don't remember the details).

I always used the VGA output, named as going to LCD for display on an
LCD screen. But is is confusing, as one output type is actually intended
for a laptop LCD, but that is NOT the same thing as going to an external
LCD display....or somesuch...so just try the various settings.

You might also want to try the openchrome driver, if you are still on
the unichrome, or via driver: better support for extra capabilities,
ESPECIALLY XVMC.

Geoff